Tuesday 11 April 2017

Interview writing/Artist interview

The Grime industry is dominated by men. There’s no other way to say it however, there is a new face on the strip. That new face goes by the name of Rozay. This rapidly rising artist has proved to us that she has what it takes to become the biggest and best artist in a very long time. Having a female face on the cover of a magazine is a normal thing. We see it everywhere but how are women portrayed on these magazines other than being eye-candy for the male gaze? Exactly, they aren’t portrayed in any other way but Rozay has come to make changes... Big changes. Today we have the one and only Rozay joining us for an interview.

“Hi, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you in person. How are you doing today?”
“Hey, I’m good thanks and believe me, it’s a real honour for me to be here and before we dive into questions, I’d like to say that I am very grateful for this opportunity. Actually another thing, thanks for asking me how I’m doing, it’s a rare occasion, it makes me feel like a human, some people don’t realise that I am just like them.”

“I don’t want to waste too much time so I’ll get straight to it. What inspired to make music?”
“Well, as I was growing up I went through hell, parents splitting, family feuds, you name it, I’ve done and been through it and I’m not saying that in a way to brag, that’s just my honest answer. My mother went in rehab when I was about seven and since then my dad has been taking care of me. I am truly grateful to him, it’s impossible to pay him back for what he did but when you don’t have a mother, it’s like a black hole inside you which can consume one whole so to avoid being consumed by destructive hole, I write music. So I’d like to say it was my mother and father that inspired me but the reality of it is that it is my struggle... As my fellow rapper says all the time “Don’t let temporary situations determine your life”.

“I’m sorry to hear that and to be honest, for one that’s been through so much, it’s amazing to see the person you’ve become today. Anywho, which artist do you look up to for inspiration?”
“Eminem. That is all I have to say... You and everyone reading/listening to this interview probably knows why but if you don’t, he is by far the best lyricist in the world, that’s in my opinion, give him any word and he will break it, make it and rhyme it. For example, tell him to rhyme orange with something, he came up with, ‘Listen, I will bust through that orange four inch door hinge’. That’s talent... For years people say that one line “You can’t rhyme orange with anything” but there you go. Not even a stutter and he managed.”

“That was actually quite cool, I need to watch that interview. How has your fanbase grown since the release of your first album?”
“It has BLOWN up. Before, I could sit at my laptop procrastinating but now... Impossible. Probably most of my day gets consumed by replying to my fans and although it takes time, I couldn’t care less. As far as I’m concernced, I am where I am because of my fans so the least they deserve is for me to put in the effort to reply to their messages. I might not get through everyone but it’s the effort that counts for me.”
In
“Wow, a lot of famous people don’t even bother replying to their fans but you’re totally the opposite. When you originally started music, what did your family say?”

“Originally, nobody knew what I was doing. I would miss college just to do what I always dreamed of. Every teacher would cuss me saying I’d fail in life, etc. But look now, I’m bigger than ever before and now they all want to praise me without an apology... I’m not about the whole bragging thing but now they want to know. When I released my first song, my brother came charging into my room and screamed in my face ‘IS THIS YOU?!’, I laughed and said ‘yeah, now get out my room’. Then my dad followed ad gave me the biggest hug and laughed at me saying ‘at least all the penalties from the council because of you not attending school weren’t for nothing’.

No comments:

Post a Comment